Friday, May 14, 2010

Nike Dunk Hi QK Vintage - UNLV (2008)

I think I've mentioned a few times about Dunk Hi being nicer than Dunk Lo (except for a few designs which I can't resist from eyeing/buying). It was quite easy to decide actually, as you can see the vintage, 90's look when you wear a hi-cut sneakers, especially something like Dunk Hi.

So back in early 2008, Nike released a campaign called Nike: Be True To Your School to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Nike Dunk. These kicks have been roughed up with aged midsoles, roughed leathers as well as a few scrapes and scratches.

And to celebrate the 20th Anniversary, Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur respectively) was one of the very few cities selected to be part of the celebration. I was not surprised as I see Kuala Lumpur being one of the major fashion (lifestyle/street fashion, in this case) trendsetters in the region.

So when they launched the Be True To Your School campaign, I managed to grab a pair. There were seven pairs in total for the first series, and I was thinking of grabbing the whole seven pairs but I thought, nahh it'll definitely come by, sooner or later.

Thanks to Sole What?

What made this campaign even sweeter for the hypebeasts here, was the special appearance by Dave White, a famous pop artist from United Kingdom. He made a few appearances all over KL such as at Nike Sportswear @ The Curve, Sole What? at The Garden, and lastly at the Streething "All In The Family" Event.

At Sole What?, The Garden
What made it even more awesome is that he made a live painting show on the particular pair that I bought.

Streething "All In The Family", Zouk KL

Even more more lucky when he left his signature on the shoes.

And the whole awesome thing was wrapped with a dedication to our Komodo Ninja Hype Clan:

This pair represent UNLV, which stands for University of Nevada, Las Vegas. But most sneakerheads have a nickname for this colourway, can you guess it?

No?

I'll tell you:

Now you know.

This Ultraman colourway is one of the hottest colourways for Dunks.

And after two years keeping it nicely on my display rack, I finally broke fresh on this pair.

Infinite Scope by iPhone

I personally think Dunk Hi should be kept at only two colours, or three colours tops. More than that just kills it terribly. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

No comments: